Maria Sigma | Woven Textiles is an award-winning textile brand specialising in hand-woven textiles for interiors based in London.
By using exceptional natural materials I create textiles and furniture pieces for projects large and small, commercial and residential, combining expertise in made to measure throws, cushions, rugs, furnishing fabrics and much more. Maria Sigma | Woven Textiles products collection celebrates a timeless high aesthetic via 'zero waste' design and production ethic, combining a contemporary approach and traditional weaving techniques and focusing on raw natural materials and texture. Individually designed, handcrafted and fully customisable.
Inspired by my Greek heritage and by the colour palette of the British landscape, in combination with a love for maths and craftsmanship I make vibrant, but minimal, contemporary textiles that creatively interpret long-established traditional craft techniques and styles. By emphasising the raw quality of the materials and texture and removing any superfluous elements, my work pays close attention to usability and aiming at producing high-quality luxurious interior products designed to become timeless heirlooms.
My approach to design is based on the idea of creating beautiful functional textiles and objects through 'zero waste' design and craftsmanship by re-interpreting traditional craft techniques in a lively and contemporary way. High-quality and sustainable natural fibres (British wool) are key to the philosophy of my work, in which the aspiration for textile longevity through simplicity and sensibility is essential. Weaving is my way of putting the everyday chaos in order and make something honest and beautiful out of it.
After completing my studies in Textile Conservation in Greece I went on to complete a degree in Textile Design at Chelsea College of Art and Design in London. In 2017 I achieved investment support from The Prince's Trust and Virgin Start-Up Scheme. With their support I invested in a new floor Dobby loom and a studio space in East London.
Recipient of Cockpit Arts / 'Clothworkers' Award 2015 & 2016.
- Chelsea College of Art & Design, London 2014
- Cockpit Arts | ‘Clothworkers’ Foundation Award, London 2015
- Cockpit Arts | ‘Clothworkers’ Foundation Award, London 2016
- New Designers | One Year On, London 2016
- London Design Festival | TEND London, London 2017
- London Craft Week | Pechkam Craft Weekend, London 2017
- Good Design Greece Exhibition 2017, Athens 2017
- The Prince’s Trust Christmas Fayer, London 2017
- London Craft Week | The Home of Craftsmanship at Dunhill London by Hole & Corner Magazine, Alferd Dunhill House, London 2018
- Cockpit Arts | LCN, London 2018
- Good Design Greece Exhibition 2018, EMST Athens 2018
- London Design Festival | British Craft Pavilion, London 2018